I love seafood, probably more than I love any other protein, but I do eat it in moderation. Today, I wanted to share with you my recipe for Coconut Scallops in Rum Sauce.
1. Season one side of the scallops while they are in the preparation plate or dish. You will season the other side once the scallops are in the pan. Be generous with the seasoning as you will lose much of the seasoning once it hits the oil in the pan.
2. Place the scallops, seasoned side down, in a clockwise direction start at the top (12 o’clock position), placing them along the outside edge of the pan. This will help in keeping track of cooking time, since you can start turning over the scallops at the same 12 o’clock position and not lose track.
The scallops should sizzle on contact with the pan. Do not crowd your pan, cook them in batches if required. Season the second side of the scallops.
3. Cook the scallops for 2 minutes, then turn them over. Do not move the scallops while they are cooking. If the scallop does not release from the pan, give it a few more seconds, it should release easily.
4. Cook the scallops for another 2 to 3 minutes on the second side. The scallops should be golden brown on both sides from the searing process. The scallop should also look opaque and firm to the touch, but slightly soft. Do not overcook the scallops, they will quickly become tough and chewy. Use a timer if you are easily distracted (like me!).
5. Serve the scallops immediately. Pro Tip! Always have everything ready to serve before cooking the scallops, this will give the best serving results as the scallops do not need to sit and wait for you to plate and ready the other items.